Sunday, September 03, 2006

I am Already and Not Yet

So i know i haven't posted in a while....
I know I haven't written about my summer...
I know I've probably lost a lot of readers...
But it's time to move on and get back in the blogging groove.

I hope you can read the post before this one on Pat and Mary Beth. They are two people I lived with this summer that changed my life. They are amazing, and I miss them so much! Anyway, onto other things...

Ever wondered what Jesus was talking about when He would talk about the coming of the Kingdom?

I didn't.

But just recently I watched this DVD by a guy named Derek Morphey, which completely blew my whole concept of Christianity out of the water. Before I continue, lets look at a couple of passages from the Gospels.

From then on Jesus began to preach. "Turn from your sins and turn to God, because the Kingdom of Heaven is near." - Matthew 4:17

One day the Pharisees asked Jesus, "When will the Kingdom of God come?"
Jesus replied, "The Kingdom of God isn't ushered in with visible signs. You won't be able to say, 'Here it is!' or "It's over there!' For the Kingdom of God is within you." - Luke 17: 20

OK, so is the Kingdom of God here or is it coming?

The answer: IT'S BOTH

Logically it makes no sense, which is why many theologians have decided to define it by calling it "Kingdom Language" (well.....its definately not English!). I guess the point of that is, is that we are supposed to be confused by this and have to try to define it within the context of "God's plan" or "God's Truth".

If we take the coming of God's Kingdom to mean the arrival of His glory on earth, where His name is lifted above all others, where the blind will see and the deaf will hear and where Christ is present to all who believe......

.....then this idea of God's Kingdom being Already here and Not Yet here at the same time, now makes perfect sense to me.

Why?

Have you ever witnessed something so amazing and miraculous that you find it hard to put into words the emotions you've felt? Maybe at times when you've fell in love, or witnessed a beautiful sunset, or had a prayer answered or hit a moment, like me, where you just can't explain the amazing thing that is happening to you right now in the present moment...

...That is the Kingdom of God.

Yet we don't feel these things all the time. Truth is, our bodies probably wouldn't be able to take it. Even the most hardcore Christians aren't beeming with joy 24 hours a day (although sometimes we think we ought to be). Infact, there are moments where we feel totally upset at life. We fail and we fall. We sin and we sell ourselves out. And we do it all the time.

...We are human afterall.

And God's Kingdom was not meant for this world. We want to be in God's presence all the time, but the truth is, our human bodies probably couldn't handle it. When we cry or laugh, our body jolts and jiggles and we are overcome with emotion to which our body uses these avenues to find a release. In quiet reflectful times we can also be overcome by insight and wisdom that we can admit we have had no part in aquiring.

The fact is that God blesses us, in moments, with his coming Kingdom. He gives us a window into what will come when Christ finally returns. The Kingdom is within us, yet we have not yet experienced it all. But it is near.

There will be a time when Christ returns and those that believe in Him will be taken to His Kingdom instantly to live fully in the blessing of God. Yet for now, all we have are these glimpses. They are fully given by God's grace...yet our relationship with him deepens our experience. We are able to see more clearly God's kingdom in our lives because we are interacting with Him more.

What an incredible promise from Jesus...

The Kingdom of Heaven is near...

The Kingdom of God is within you...

I am Already and Not Yet...

2 comments:

FL PT said...

Hi Brenton! Awesome post! What an encouraging thought...to have the kingdom of heaven in us and waiting for us. Amazing!!

Thanks also for talking to me last night. I really appreciate your friendship and your being there for me in this time of change.

I have one more request...would you please keep my dad and grandmother in your prayers. My grandma is in the end-stage of Alzheimer's Disease and we've called Hospice in to make her comfortable. Thankfully, she still knows my dad but she doesn't know the rest of us anymore. She's not even able to get out of bed anymore. Her body is just shutting down. My dad is devastated by all of this and is riddled w/ guilt (not sure why...it is just the way he was raised I think). My family do not know God and they have no comfort or peace. It tears my heart out. Since my grandma's breathing is becoming more shallow each day, it shouldn't be long. I'd appreciate your prayers also for this to be a time when my family may see God thru me. Thanks.

FL PT said...

Hi Brenton! Awesome post! What an encouraging thought...to have the kingdom of heaven in us and waiting for us. Amazing!!

Thanks also for talking to me last night. I really appreciate your friendship and your being there for me in this time of change.

I have one more request...would you please keep my dad and grandmother in your prayers. My grandma is in the end-stage of Alzheimer's Disease and we've called Hospice in to make her comfortable. Thankfully, she still knows my dad but she doesn't know the rest of us anymore. She's not even able to get out of bed anymore. Her body is just shutting down. My dad is devastated by all of this and is riddled w/ guilt (not sure why...it is just the way he was raised I think). My family do not know God and they have no comfort or peace. It tears my heart out. Since my grandma's breathing is becoming more shallow each day, it shouldn't be long. I'd appreciate your prayers also for this to be a time when my family may see God thru me. Thanks.