Friday, April 14, 2006

Being a College Student........

So, for the last two days, it's really felt like i've had the college student mentality....again. After one of the busiest weeks of my life, the last two days have probably been some of the slowest. It's easter break, and yeah.....i'm looking down the barrell of 7 major assignments before the end of April, and these last two days off could have come in real handy.

But the last two days i've managed to sleep in untill at least 11am, watched some tv, messed around on the computer.....pretty much doing nothing. For me, that is definately an accomplishment, but one that attaches some guilt to it. I think once you become so busy that your free time doesn't even include meal time anymore, you have this kind of nicotene affect when you aren't doing anything. "I have to be doing something"....."I have to find something to do"....."Im going to get really bored if i just sit here".

The other day, i went out to a park with a couple of buddies and we sat at this overlook of the Missouri River and watched the sun go down. There was an older couple there sitting with us, and they whispered when they talked. I think once we recognized that, we thought we may as well be quiet also. For about 10 minutes, me and my two buddies, and this older couple sat at the overlook, in complete silence, and watched the sun go down. All you could hear was the squirrels rustling the leaves nearby.

This is what i needed. Just time to be still. To stop moving. To stop thinking. To stop. I really wonder how many people take time out of their day to do that.....just stop. I think some people, (like myself, sometimes) become so busy that they do know how to stop. Its like they see a red light and drive straight through it. Have you ever had the urge to do that when no other cars are around? Gotta be somewhere?

I think these last two days have taught me a lot. I have accomplished nothing in terms of schoolwork, or churchwork, or paperwork.....but i think my spirit just took a huge breather. After taking a big breath i can really feel it too.

'Be still and know that I am God' has been a good verse this week.

A train found it's brakes had broke, and couldn't stop
Passengers were in danger of death or worse
Broken limbs, lost friends or plain fear to top
A burdened trip, brought on by this train's curse.
Gravity for sure, must be put to blame
This hill on the journey was far too steep
Inertia was pulling to harm this train
And the tracks narrowed up, so pain could reap.
Yet the driver was raring, as the route
And busy schedule required such speed
Those in his care and himself were blanked out,
For the notion to slow, he felt no need.
Will the haste to the end give us great pride,
Or will we burn out, and forget the ride?

3 comments:

FL PT said...

YAY an update! Geesh...took ya long enough. :-)

I completely understand what you are talking about referring to the college mentality. I'm 4 weeks into my internship and I still come home and am like "I should be doing something". It's hard to let yourself relax when you are used to constantly going. I'm glad the sunset helped w/ that for you.

You are almost done!! Keep up all the hard work and it'll all be over before you know it. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey bro!! First off I miss you!! I so enjoyed getting to visit with you the other day...wish i would of had more time, but thats how things go.
Your post is right on cue. Such a powerful concept to just stop. Stop thinking, stop moving, stop talking.....stop and just be. Just exsist and take in the moment. I'm always the one rushing through that red light, so i'm in constant need of a reminder that a deep breath is more than necessary.
Glad that you finally got some time to post...and you inspired me to post something new as well on my blog....so next time you stop for a minute go check it out :)
LOVE YOU!

CleanSlate said...

Very true. Sometimes that does happen. Me i'm a slug so i'm never in trouble of that! lol!
-kat