Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Spiritual Life (Another Imperfect Analogy)

Since I've been in Miami, I've been running every day on the beach. I love it! The first day we got here I really felt like God was speaking to me while I was running. He didn't say anything....He just let me run.....A real long way......So this is what happenned. But first, a good Word.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body.
2 Corinthians 4:7-11

Begin.

I pose.
I flex.
BIG muscles....yeah right.
Click Click
"Seeya when you get back"
I start running.
The sand is soft.
The water is warm
My legs are loaded.
First beach in over a year.
I'm excited and confident.
I'm gonna run to the end of this beach.

There are so many hotels!
They are so marvellous.
But not for a beach.
I wonder where they end?
I bet at that big one.
That's how far I'll run.
Yeah! It's not even that far.
I bet there'll be a park.
Maybe some grass and dunes
And trees. Palm trees.
It'll be real nice.
It'll be just like home.

I look to the sand.
Cratered by footprints.
Remnants of sweet adventures.
I look to the water.
Tiny ripples but no waves.
An infinite invitation for a runner.
I wonder where it ends?
It's gonna feel great when i stop.
Stop running?
I could go for days!
Forrest Gump style!
I am free and alive.

Ten minutes pass.
This is so pretty.
I could write about this!
I could live at a beach.
I will live at a beach!
And run everyday!
I will be at one with nature.
I will be so healthy and buff!
My wife will like that.
I bet i've run pretty far.
I'm not even tired yet.
That big hotel is getting pretty close.

Twenty minutes pass.
This sand is getting soft
Real soft. Harder to run.
There are rocks i have to dodge.
There are people in my way.
Up the dune. Softer sand.
Two pretty girls.
"Hi."
"Hi."
............
I never look back.
This beach aint got nothin' me.

Thirty minutes pass.
I'm covered in sweat.
I've been running on an angle.
That must be bad for my feet.
I wonder where my parents are?
They're probably wondering where i am.
Too bad. I'm gonna make it to the end.
You still feeling good?
Ouch! Stepped on a rock.
I like pain!!!
I'm still not at that big hotel.
Not too far now. I'll make it.

Should be spending time with mum.
I've ran pretty far.
I still feel good.
The end will be worth it.
Trees. Palm trees. Home.
Suddenly I stop.
I start walking.
Why did i stop?
I stand.
I see Eden Roc Hotel.
How imperfect is this?
There are a lot of people here.

I walk out into the water.
Oh this feels good!
My body cools.
My feet soothe.
I walk out deeper.
I see the big hotel.
I walk out further.
I see more hotels.
And no palm trees.
Then, I realize where I am.
I emerse my sore body.
This must be heaven.

End.

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.
Phillippians 3:12-14

Post-ending.

Then I realize I have to run back.
I swim back to shore.
I walk out on the hot sand.
My body is aching.

I pose.
I flex.
Lots of wierd looks.
Oh well.
I start running.

2 comments:

FL PT said...

Nice...

Running on the beach was never too enjoyable for me b/c my coaches always made us run in the sandiest sand...not the firm sand by the water. Anyway, lots of very sore muscles later...I vowed never to run on the beach again ha ha.

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I hope you enjoy your time with your Mom in Miami!

CleanSlate said...

Bob! Thanks for the call yesterday! It was cool to hear from you. Also hope you're having fun with your madre. lol! Anywho, cool little story analogy type thingy. I like those they're fun. ANYWHO!! ttfn
-kat