Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! OI! OI! OI!

Well, last night was a special night at Camp Champions. For some unknown reason, the owner of our camp, Steve Baskin, got really excited about teaching "Waltzing Matilda" as a camp song to the whole camp. For the Americans that may not know, Waltzing Matilda is an old Australian folk song, that is loosely regarded as our national anthem. Pity it's about a guy that drowns himself in a billabong! If you would like to read the lyrics you can find them here: http://www.imagesaustralia.com/waltzingmatilda.htm

Anyway, he asked me if i would teach it to the whole camp; and so with the help of a guitarist and a singer, at our final event of the day last night (Torchlight) i got to teach Waltzing Matilda to the whole camp. I think it was my proudest Australian moment since I've been in the states. I guess i didn't do a good enough job though, because i've had a lot of people ask me today what a "Waltzing Matilda" is......i guess im not completely sure myself.

Yesterday was a really great day for me spiritually also. I was reading through Luke's Gospel and came across a verse about Zechariah after he had spoken with an angel in the temple.
Luke 1:21-22
Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah and wondering why he stayed so long in the temple. When he came out, he could not speak to them. They realized he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak.

This passage really spoke to me in the fact that just by Zechariah's actions, they could tell he had received a message from the Lord. It was a good lesson for me to know that to have my vision realized for my campers, i should concentrate more on being an example through my actions rather than my words.

Lord, i praise you for the lessons you teach me everyday, and continue to grow me into the person you want me to be. Help me to make my decisions each day, as i am niave in my wisdom. My i seek your presence more everyday, so that those around me might also see You.

Somehow i've gotta work on making my blogs shorter, because i know i wouldn't have time in the day to read all of this. Thanks to all who have left replies. I will leave my own when i get the time.

1 comment:

J-and-j said...

My dad used to sing and play Waltzing Matilda on the Autoharp when I was little...oh the memories. Hey...don't worry about length...have you seen my xanga novels...hahaha. Lator gator!

Jana*